Regardless of how small or new your business is, creating a logo is essential to making you look professional—a key ingredient to earning business. You’ll need one for your website header, online profiles, business cards, stationary, and any other marketing presence or collateral you create.
If you’re not a designer, you won’t want to invest in expensive design software and then spend time learning how to use the software, as well as the rules of design, just to create one logo. Fortunately, there has been a rise in free logo creators that allow you to make a logo on the spot – no software downloads or design education needed.
Keep in mind, most designers will advise you to steer clear of such tools, since you might not create the best possible logo. You could also end up making a logo that looks similar to other business owners using the same tool. But if you can’t afford a professional designer, you’re still better off creating a logo than having no logo at all. Many businesses change their logo as they evolve, so the first logo you create doesn’t have to stick with you forever.
So without further ado, lets test drive some popular free logo creators and see how they compare in features, ease of use and results.
Squarespace Logo is a free logo maker by the same people who make the Squarespace CMS platform. Their logo designer is simple – you start by entering your name or business name.
On the next screen, you will get the option to add a tagline and icon. You can click on the text to change the font style, size, and color, or position. You can click on the icon to change the size, color (fill and border), and position.
When you save your logo, you will get to choose from a free, 400×400 low-resolution logo with a watermark or a 5000×5000 high-resolution logo with no watermark for $10. If you’re a Squarespace user, the logo is free.
The final, free result:
- It takes less than five minutes to design your logo.
- The final design is a PNG file with a transparent background, which means you can place it on any other background without having a white square / rectangular background to modify later.
- You can preview your logo on a white business card or black computer screen while working on your logo.
- You have to search using the right keywords to find additional icons beyond the default ones displayed.
- If you want the high-resolution version with no watermark and don’t have a Squarespace account, it’s not free.
- You can’t save your logo design to work on later – once you’ve downloaded it and left the site, you would have to start the design over againif you wanted to change it in any way..
Overall, it’s a simple tool to use and gets the job done in a minimalistic way. If you’re looking for more customization options, then you might want to look elsewhere, but for clean and simple, this logo maker is for you.
LogoGarden is a free logo creator, founded in 2011 and used by over 677,000 entrepreneurs. You can browse through hundreds of samples by industry, from accounting to transportation, or jump right into their logo designer.
To get started, you can click on the orange Create my FREE logo button anywhere on the website. You will then use the wizard to choose your industry…
Choose your symbol…
And finally, choose your color & type. Here, you will add your business name and optional tagline. You can also add effects to your text and your symbol, shape the text, and choose from several other customization options.
Once finished, you will save your logo. First, you will be prompted to create an account. Once you have verified the account, you will get the option to download a free, low-resolution version of your logo or purchase the high-resolution version for $12.95, along with the ability to make unlimited revisions and get a version with a clear background.
The final, free result:
You can also right-click on the version displayed on the LogoGarden website (above where it wants you to purchase the high-resolution version) and get a slightly better version than the one you downloaded.
The download is 200×67 jpg with a white background, whereas the one you snag off the website is 500×168 PNG with a transparent background and less distortion.
- More options to choose from in terms of fonts, effects, and especially symbols.
- You can preview your logo on a business card, t-shirt, coffee mug, sign, and smartphone case, all of which you can design and purchase through the same website.
- The free version you can download is pretty bad in terms of size, format, and pixilation. The one you can snag off the website is better, but this is something you may not be able to do down the road.
- You can’t edit your logo later without making a purchase, even if you sign up for an account.
- If you do choose to buy your logo, you will have to give them your contact information, including phone number. In the fine print, it gives LogoGarden and its affiliates the right to use “automatic telephone dialing system or pre-recorded call” to contact you about more services they offer. It says you don’t have to give consent to this, but there’s also no opt-out option on the purchase form. You have to opt-out later.
Overall, there are a lot of great features in this tool for non-designers to create a more unique logo.
GraphicSprings is a logo maker that allows you to create professional looking logos. Something to note about this site: it is a free logo maker as in the use of the software is free, but they do not provide you with a free logo. You can look at a batch of logos created in random industries for inspiration prior to designing your own.
To get started, click the blue Start logo or Get Started buttons anywhere on the website. You will use the wizard to choose your industry…
Choose your logo graphic…
And finally, enter your business name and optional slogan. Here, you will be able to do a variety of tasks to customize your logo including editing the text and logo graphic.
Once you’re finished, you can click the Save Logo button. As mentioned earlier, you can’t get the logo for free. So at this point, you will be presented with a preview of your logo itself (with lots of copyright watermarks) and a preview of your logo on a variety of products. To get a high-resolution version of your logo and the right to use it for your business, you must pay $39.99.
The final result:
- The logo graphics are much more professional than earlier reviewed services, and the logo itself is of higher quality overall.
- You have the option to buy the logo graphic that you used with your logo to ensure you will be the last person to use it.
- There’s no way to actually get a free logo from this service. You only get to design you logo for free.
As mentioned in the Likes section, you have the option to buy the logo graphic to ensure you’ll be the last person to use it, but since anyone could have used it before, it may not be worth the $99.99 upsell.
Overall, this is a great service to use if you want to create a logo yourself, and you don’t mind paying $39.99 to get something with a bit higher quality.
Additional Logo Makers
In the world of logo creators, there are dozens of services available to you. Here are a few more popular options and a summary of each:
- LogoYes – Allows you to design a logo for free and download a high-resolution version for $0.99. Also signs you up for their website building services, which are free for the first year, and $9.95 per month thereafter. You can cancel before the year is up to avoid additional charges.
- LogoMaker – Allows you to design a logo and use it on your website for free using their HTML code. Logos for use on business cards and other materials are $49 each.
- DesignMantic – Allows you to design a logo for free and download a high-resolution version for $29.
- LogoTypeMaker – Allows you to design a logo for free and download a high-resolution version for $25.
- VistaPrint Logo Maker – Allows you to design a free logo to use with their business products.
- Tweak.com – Allows you to design a logo for free and download different resolutions starting at €4.95.
- Zillion Designs – Allows you to design a logo for free and download EPS, JPG, and PNG for free in exchange for mentioning Zillion Designs on your blog or website.
Be sure to steer clear of the logo creators that make logos using fonts from other brands, such as Facebook, Disney, Coca-Cola, and similar. These are more for fun and less for usage by an actual business as you may run into trademark violations.
Also, be sure to look at the agreements for each logo maker in terms of usage – some only allow you usage rights for certain types of projects and media. Others sign you up for other services you may not want or need.
In addition, if you do not plan to use your new logo long term, you shouldn’t invest in a lot of collateral – think small quantities until you have the logo you’ll be using indefinitely.
Using a logo creator tool is a great way to produce your first logo at an affordable cost. As you grow your business and develop your brand, a professional designer can create the next generation of your logo and brand identity. If that time is now, FreshBooks can help you find a great designer through our partnership with Elance.
To find a designer, follow these steps:
- Login to your FreshBooks account (Or get your free trial started)
- Click on the “People” tab
- Click on the “Staff and Contractors” tab underneath
- Click on the link “Find freelances who can help you with your Projects”
- You’ll find tons of great designers in the “Design and Multimedia” category