Value passion: Healthy living at FreshBooks
February 17, 2011
One of the best things about working at FreshBooks is that everyone is passionate. We’re passionate about our customers and service, but no one is just passionate about one thing.
What does that mean? It means we don’t only get to pursue the business and career goal, but also our personal goals as well. And we tend to take others along for the ride. One very common personal goal, is healthy living. Here are some of the ways that plays out at FreshBooks:
- There are a number of hockey players at the office, so they organized and now play shinny (Canadian for pick-up hockey) every other Friday at 4pm (that also means leaving work early).
- Almost a third of FreshBooks employees have been know to cycle into work. And that third inspires and helps the rest pick good commuter bikes and safe routes so they start riding in.
- Some of our developers have been rock climbing for years, so they invited others out one time and there’s now a regular Tuesday group.
- For the past ten years, two of the FreshBooks founders have always competed in the CN Tower stair climb in support of the World Wildlife Fund. Last year we entered two teams.
- A support team member was feeling guilty about all the cake he was starting to eat at FreshBooks, so he organized the “The Biggest Loser” challenge, FreshBooks style. In support of that, P90X classes on Monday evenings have broken out.
- And when the 100 Push-up challenge became a trend, someone said “Yes, let’s do it” – we’ve been working towards 100 push-ups three times a week for almost two years (a number of us have completed it, myself not included).
That’s a lot going on with no official mandate.
Since healthy living is such important part of so many FreshBooks employee lives, the company supports it by having a $200 healthy living credit for anything an employee needs to start or support a healthy lifestyle. A nice support, but it comes doing from people taking initiative and following through on their passion.
If any of this sounds good to you, you may be pleased to know FreshBooks is hiring!