Is Quickbooks Self-Employed Worth The Headache?
Are you a self-employed individual? Are you a freelancer who is in control of all things related to your work? If you are, you are most likely to handle accounting duties on your own. Managing finances is a great cause of headache for many freelancers. Without help, tracking and organizing transactions and expenses can be hard to manage. But because of the availability of accounting software programs on the market, these tasks are now less of a burden for the self-employed.
What does accounting software do? It removes the need for manual data entry and computing, making accounting very comfortable. Because of this, it can be a very useful and essential tool for self-employed individuals. If you are not using one of these programs, you should think about investing now to make running your business easier. One of the most popular accounting software options on the market right now is QuickBooks Self-Employed. It offers basic accounting services which are important for freelancers. A common complaint of QuickBooks users, though, is that the program is difficult to use. Especially for those with little to no knowledge of accounting principles.
This begs the question – is QuickBooks Self-Employed worth the headache of managing financial paperwork?
Is it still worth using it?
QuickBooks Self-Employed is designed to cater to the basic accounting needs of self-employed individuals such as creating simple client invoices, tracking income and expenses, and calculating taxes. It also has additional features such as tracking mileage for tax deductions. Depending on your subscription plan, you can even use it to file your taxes. These are the basic accounting needs of a freelancer working on only a few projects. But what happens when you start getting more clients?
As much as QuickBooks SE provides the basic accounting needs for a freelancer, once you gain more clients, you need to have accounting software which supports your growing business. So, what is the better option?
A Fresh Choice
Great news for freelancers and other self-employed individuals, there is another accounting software which provides more robust features that are definitely useful for your business. FreshBooks is also designed for self-employed individuals and also has basic accounting services. The difference is that this accounting software is packed with more features than QuickBooks.
What makes FreshBooks so great for the self-employed? Here are the following features that sets it apart from QuickBooks:
- Time tracking. Unlike QuickBooks, FreshBooks has a built-in time tracker which allows you to see how much time you spend on a project and also determine exactly how much you invoice a client.
- Customized invoicing. With FreshBooks, you can set up recurring invoicing to save time. You can also customize your invoices like adding your logo and a personal message for your client. There is also an option to charge your client late fees, if necessary.
- Client collaboration. You and your client can discuss projects and share important files with this FreshBooks feature. It allows seamless communication between the two parties, making work more productive.
- Custom proposals and estimates. You can kick start a project with a client by sending them customized proposals with estimates. They can be revised until you and the client reach an agreement. Once approved, the estimate can be converted into an invoice with one click.
- Simple yet comprehensive financial reports. FreshBooks can generate financial reports such as Profit & Loss and Sales Tax Summary that you can download and use to monitor your business’s health. You can also use these reports in order to get ready for tax time with the help of your accountant.
- All device access. Whether using a phone or a computer, you can access FreshBooks anytime, from anywhere. All information is automatically synced so you will still be able to work without losing progress.
FreshBooks also has an award-winning customer support in case you encounter any problems. They will help you resolve your problem and you will be back on your feet in no time.
If you only need basic accounting needs, you can still use QuickBooks Self-Employed. However, if you plan to expand your client base, then you need more than just basic accounting services. FreshBooks offers more robust accounting features in order to help you manage your financial needs.
What are you waiting for? Make the switch to FreshBooks right now! Sign up for a 30-day trial and see why Freshbooks is the best accounting software for a self-employed like yourself.