Can I automatically send Invoices? (Recurring Profiles)
Yes, FreshBooks is very well suited for subscription based billing. You can set up recurring profiles that generate invoices automatically on a consistent basis! With this guide, we’ll show you how you can:
- Create a Recurring Profile
- Configure Your Send Options
- Apply Existing Credit to a Recurring Profile
Create a Recurring Profile
- Go to the ‘Invoices’ —> ‘Recurring’ tab
- Click on + New Recurring Profile
- Creating a Recurring Profile is just like creating a single Invoice, with a few extra features:
- Start Date - the day you want the first Invoice to be sent. Usually the 1st of the month or the first day your Client signs up for a service.
- How Often - how often you want to the Invoices to send out. There are many different options ranging from weekly to yearly.
- How Many - how many Invoices you want to send out in total for this Recurring Profile. For example, if you are charging someone for a year’s subscription on a monthly basis you would set “How Often” to monthly and “How Many” to 12.
- Click Save when your Profile has been created. This profile can be edited later at any time. The first Invoice will go out on the Start Date and all Invoices created by Recurring Profiles will be in your list in the standard Invoices tab.
Configure Your Send Options
You can setup your Recurring Invoices to be created without being sent to your Clients on either select Recurring Invoices or on all Recurring Invoices.
NOTE: Please keep in mind that your client’s credit card will still be charged for any auto-bill Recurring Invoices.
Your Client will not receive an Invoice Notification from FreshBooks. However, Payment Notifications may still be sent from your payment gateway or from FreshBooks.
To ensure all your Recurring Invoices are not sent to your Clients automatically, you’ll want to go to Settings —> Misc:
Then head to the Recurring Invoices section under General, and uncheck the Send Automatically checkbox next to Recurring Invoices. Make sure you click ‘Save’ at the bottom of the page once a change has been made:
Alternatively, if you’re looking to disable the automatic sending for specific Recurring Invoices, follow these steps:
- Click on your Invoices tab.
- Click on your Recurring sub-tab.
- Click on your blue edit link to the right of the Recurring Profile you wish to modify.
- On the top left side, ensure that both options to send by Email and Snail Mail are unchecked.
- Click on the Save button at the bottom of the page.
Apply Existing Credit to a Recurring Profile
Since Recurring Invoices are not created until the day you have indicated, i.e. the 1st of the month, there is no way to mark it as paid before the Invoice is generated. But have no fear! Here’s what you can do:
- Go to Settings (upper right-hand corner)
- Click on the Misc tab
- Next to Recurring Invoices under the General section, check the box beside Apply Credit Automatically:
- Don’t forget to Save!
For any Client who has paid early, you can enter a Credit for them:
- Go to Invoices then the Credits sub-tab.
- Click on + New Credit:
- You can now create the Credit. This is done much like creating an Invoice (select a Client from the drop down, enter the amount in the Task / Item table):
When the Recurring Profile next generates that Client’s Invoice, the Credit you just created will be automatically applied as payment towards it.
When do Recurring Profiles go out?
Recurring Profiles start creating and sending their Invoices at around 3 AM, Eastern Standard Time, on the day they’re set to run. Invoices may take a little while to actually get sent, since there are many Invoices generated in this way so there is a queue for sending them.
If your Recurring Profile is set to generate Invoices for the 1st of the month, please be aware that it may take longer to generate as there is a larger queue on this day every month. You’ll be notified in your account that your profiles will generate Invoices soon (usually by afternoon they are already generated).