Automatic Expense Importing
NOTE: Automatic Expense Importing is currently only available to North American users.
FreshBooks now provides the ability for you to attach your credit card, bank account, and PayPal account for automatic expense importing every day. Goodbye manual entry work!
How can I add my bank to FreshBooks?
To add a bank account to your FreshBooks account, just follow these steps:
- Click on the Expenses tab and click on the connect your bank link
- A popup will appear asking you to search for your bank
- Select your bank and enter the username and password you use to login to your financial institution to do online banking. You can verify the link to ensure you have chosen the right bank that you normally log into
- Make sure you hit the checkbox to agree to the Terms of Service
- William (the squirrel) should be dancing while FreshBooks connects with your bank account
- Check off the accounts from the financial institution that you want to connect to your FreshBooks account
- William (the squirrel) will start dancing again and will import your expenses for the last 30-90 days (depending on your financial institution)
- Once import is done, you will see a message about how many expenses were imported. Click the green Go to my expenses button to see the expenses
- On your list of your expenses, you will probably see two notifications. The green one has a link for the latest imported expenses. The blue one will have a link for expenses that imported without a category to help you assign a category to those expenses.
Why did the automatic expense import not bring in all my expenses that I see on my statement?
When first connecting to a bank account, we will retrieve the last 30-90 days’ worth of expenses. The amount of time we can go back is largely dependent on how far back the financial institution will allow access.
If you have expenses that you want to import outside of the 30-90 days’ window, most banks allow you to export a .csv file of your transactions from your online portal with them. Once these are exported, they can be imported to FreshBooks using our import tool.
Make sure to to import the file into FreshBooks.
NOTE: FreshBooks is single-entry, so only expenses in the form of payment and debit transactions will be imported in. Deposits and credits will not be imported in.
How do I disconnect my bank?
NOTE: Severing a bank will not remove expenses that have already been imported for the account. If you want to remove all expenses, Go to the Expenses tab, then click on Bank Accounts, and then click on the View expenses link. You will be able to delete the expenses directly from this account now.
- Click on the Expenses tab and then on the Bank Accounts sub-tab just below
- Here you will see each account that you have connected in its own box detailing account name and last updated
- Click on disconnect for the specific account that you need to remove. That’s it!