In FreshBooks, the people you send Invoices or Estimates to are Clients. You can add, manage and delete your Clients as your business grows. You’re also able to add secondary contacts in each Client profile, so you can send Invoices to multiple contacts in one company as needed.
The only required field for a Client is their email address, all the other steps listed here are optional.
Add A New Client
To add a new Client:
- Go to the People tab
- Click on the New Client button
- Organization Name – Give your Client an Organization Name. This can be their company name, their First/Last Name, or anything you want to label your Client as. The Organization Name will appear on Invoices
- Currency & Language – Using the little buttons, you can choose a currency and language for your Client
- Late Payment Reminders & Late Fees – you can choose to enable these for this particular Client
If you don’t see the Reminders button, you can turn it on using these steps:
- Go to Settings
- Click on Emails
- and click edit next to Late Payment Notification Emails to enable them.
If you don’t see the Late Fees button, you can turn it on using these steps. Note: Late Fees are only available on paid accounts:
- Go to Invoices
- Click on the New Invoice button OR edit link next to an Invoice
- Scroll to Terms field at the bottom of the Invoice, then click on the Set Default Terms link
- Click on the Late Payment Fees tab and check the box to enable.
More information about late payment notifications and fees can be found here.
- Email Address – Enter an email address for your Client. This is a required field. If your Client doesn’t use email, you can enter something like ‘email@example.com’ as a place holder
- First & Last Name – Enter a first and last name for your Client. This name will appear on Invoices under the Organization Name
- Client Login Credentials – This is optional, but you can choose to assign a username and password to your Client. This is not required for the Client to see Invoices from you. Assigning credentials allows them to check up on their records by logging in manually to their “Client View” of your FreshBooks account without receiving an email from you
- Multiple Contacts – You can also add multiple contacts associated with one Client organization (for example, a CEO and an accountant). Click the little “Add another Contact” link with a (+) symbol. More details about multiple contacts can be found here.
- Mailing Address – Enter your Client’s mailing address
- Tax Name & Tax Number – Depending on your Client’s country, once chosen, you may see two new fields appear – Tax Name and Tax Number. These are optional, but useful if your Client has their own Tax Name/Number. This will appear on their Invoices as well
- Internal Notes – Enter any special information for your internal records about the Client in the Internal Notes section. They will not be able to see this information, and you can use it your advantage to filter through your massive list of Clients at a later date
Once you’ve finished filling out your new Client’s profile, click Save to finish. You’re now ready to begin invoicing your Client!
How do I delete a Client? What happens to their information?
You can delete a Client with the steps outlined here, which also details what happens to the Client’s information.
If you have issues deleting a Client, it may be due to Recurring Profiles, Recurring Expenses, or even a Project associated with that Client. Detailed steps here will help you safely stop all of this so you can delete the Client.