How do I receive online payments?
In order to receive a payment online, you’ll need to connect your FreshBooks account with a payment gateway. You can check out our Gateway Comparison Guide to see which one is best for you.
Once you’ve signed up for an account with one of these gateways (or if you already have an existing account), you’ll want to enter the gateway credentials in your FreshBooks account. To do this, you can:
- Click on the Settings link at the top right hand corner
- Head over to the Accept Credit Cards sub-tab
- Select the payment gateway of your choice and choose ‘Activate’. You’ll need to enter the payment gateway credentials in the pop-up screen.
- Hit the Save button at the bottom of the set up screen.
You can also select which Credit Card types you wish to accept (Visa, Mastercard, American Express, Discover, Diner’s Club, JCB). Take a look at this article for more information.
If you’ve already created an Invoice or Recurring Profile, you can simply head back over to it and edit the Profile / Invoice to turn it on. You will see your payment gateway show up as an option on the right-hand side of the Invoice / Profile edit page and you’ll just need to put a checkmark in the box and save.
With any future Invoices or Recurring Profiles, just ensure the payment gateway is selected prior to sending out if you would like to accept online payments.
If you are receiving payments the old fashioned way (checks, cash, bank transfer, etc.), no worries, entering a Payment in FreshBooks is easy and painless!You can manually mark an invoice as Paid if you:
- Navigate to the Invoices tab
- Check the Invoice that you want to mark as Paid (you can mark multiple Invoices at once!)
- Click the Enter Payment button at the top of the list of Invoices
- Enter the Payment Amount (or click the Pay in full checkbox)
- Choose the Method, Date, and include any Notes you want (such as the check number)
- Click Save and your Invoice will be marked as Paid!
Editing or Deleting Payments (and/or Credits)If you ever need to edit or delete a Payment or Credit, have no fear. Just follow these steps!
- Head over to the Invoices tab
- Click on the Payments sub-tab to find a list of all Payments, or the Credits sub-tab for a list of all Credits in your account.
- Find the Payment or Credit in question and click Edit to change the amount
- If you want to delete the Payment or Credit entirely, check the box next to the payment or credit and hit the Delete forever button at the top of this list.