How do I refund in FreshBooks?
If you need to process refunds inside FreshBooks, you will need to process the refund through your payment gateway (FreshBooks Payments, Stripe, PayPal, etc) first, then update it in your account.
Once the refund has been processed, then you can either delete/edit the payment stored in your account, or delete the invoice entirely.
NOTE: If you are refunding through FreshBooks Payments (WePay) specifically, the refund will automatically apply to the invoice as well - like magic!
Processing Refunds Through A Payment Gateway
Edit or Delete Payment Inside Your Account
- Go to the Invoices tab and click on the Payments sub-tab
- If you refunded the entire amount, you can delete the payment entirely (check the box off and click Delete Forever)
- If you refunded the ENTIRE amount, but you want a record of the refund, you can click edit next to the payment, and zero it out. Feel free to include a note in the Notes box, then click on Save
- If you refunded a PARTIAL amount, click edit next to the payment, and update the amount (after partial refund). Feel free to include a note in the Notes box, then click on Save.
- After changing the payment details, go to the Invoices tab and edit the invoice. Add a negative line item called Refund (or something similar). Click Save
Delete the Invoice (for Full Refunds)
- Go to the Invoices tab
- Check off the box next to the Invoice
- Click the Delete This removes the amount from your accounts receivable as well.