If you need to process refunds inside FreshBooks, you will need to process the refund through your payment gateway (FreshBooks Payments, Stripe, PayPal, etc) first, then update it in your account.
Process the Refund
- Log into your WePay dashboard here
- Click on the transaction you want to refund
- Click on the Issue Refund button
- Click on the Confirm button.
Follow the steps outlined by Stripe here.
Follow the steps outlined by PayPal here.
Follow the steps outlined by Authorize.Net here.
Follow the steps outlined by Braintree here.
Edit or Delete Payment Inside Your Account
- Go to the Invoices tab and click on the Payments sub-tab
- If you refunded the entire amount, you can delete the payment entirely (check the box off and click Delete Forever)
- If you refunded the ENTIRE amount, but you want a record of the refund, you can click edit next to the payment, and zero it out. Feel free to include a note in the Notes box, then click on Save
- If you refunded a PARTIAL amount, click edit next to the payment, and update the amount (after partial refund). Feel free to include a note in the Notes box, then click on Save.
- After changing the payment details, go to the Invoices tab and edit the invoice. Add a negative line item called Refund (or something similar). Click Save
Delete the Invoice (for Full Refunds)
You can either use step 5 above to add a negative line item that zeroes out the entire Invoice (if you want to keep a copy of the Invoice on hand). Otherwise, you can delete the Invoice itself with these steps:
- Go to the Invoices tab
- Check off the box next to the Invoice
- Click the Delete. This removes the amount from your accounts receivable as well.