How do I use Late Fees/Late Payment Reminders?
Even the most reliable Clients can sometimes forget about the occasional Invoice. Setting up late Invoice reminders in your FreshBooks system lets you gently (or harshly!) remind them about unpaid Invoices without lifting a finger.
Late Payment Fees will automatically charge a percentage or flat fee to your Invoices that age past a set deadline. This is a great way to have your Clients pay their Invoices on time.
Late Payment Reminders
To enable Late Payment Reminders in your account, use these steps:
- Click on Settings link at the top-right of the screen.
- Click on the Emails sub-tab
- Under the Emails section, click on the edit link next to Late Payment Reminders
- You can configure up to three different late notices at intervals of your choosing. Be sure to put a check in the checkbox to turn it on, and set how many days following the Invoice date you would like the reminder to go out
- Don’t forget to click Save when you’re done.
Note: Late payment reminders do not work retroactively if you’ve just enabled them on an Invoice that is already past a reminder deadline. If there is an upcoming reminder that fits the deadline (e.g., the Invoice is already 60 days overdue, but you have a reminder for 90 days), then the last payment reminder will go out after 90 days of the date of issue on your Invoice.
Send a Late Payment Reminder Immediately
You can send a note to your Client with these steps:
- Go to the Invoices tab
- Click on the edit link next to the Invoice you want to send a reminder for
- Select the Send by Email button
- From here, you can customize the subject line and email body to reflect as a Late Payment Reminder
- Press Send to finish.
Late Payment Fees
To turn on Late Payment Fees, follow these steps:
- Go to the Invoices tab
- Click on the edit link next to an existing Invoice, or create a new one with the + New Invoice button
- Click on the Set Default Terms link at the bottom of the Invoice in the Terms box
- Click on the Late Payment Fees tab
- Check off the box next to Enable Late Payment Fees for all Invoices. This will bring up some options for late payment fees that you can set up
- When you’re done, click on Save to finish.
How do I turn off Late Payment Reminders and/or Late Fees per Client?
If you have a Client that you don’t want to send Late Payment Reminders and/or Late Fees to, you can use these steps:
- Click on the People tab
- Click edit next to the Client you wish to not send reminders and/or fees to
- Under their Organization name, click the little grey bubble that says Reminders and/or Late Fees
- For either option, uncheck the box
- Click Save to finish and now the setting(s) will be disabled for that Client.