How do I use the FreshBooks Card Reader?
The FreshBooks Card Reader will allow you to easily accept credit card payments wherever business takes you, quickly and securely right from your iOS or Android devices. This article will walk you through the setup and usage of the Card Reader, so you’ll be accepting payments in no time!
For additional FAQs, take a look at this article.
How do I order the FreshBooks Card Reader?
- Launch your FreshBooks App
- Click on the Settings Gear Icon in the top right
- In the Settings screen, click Order Credit Card Reader
- Enter your ordering info and a Card Reader will be on it’s way to you!
NOTE The shipping info must be in the continental USA.
If you have not yet setup your FreshBooks Payments account, you’ll receive an email asking you to provide a little company information, and to connect your bank to your payments account. We’ll be sending your money to this bank account, so make sure you’re entering the details correctly!
Setting up your Card Reader
The FreshBooks Card Reader is ready to go straight from the box. When you plug it in initially, you’ll find some welcome messages which will briefly touch on the Card Reader’s features. This goes through pricing, mentions the green status light on the Card Reader during usage (ready to go!), and lets you know that you can accept credit card payments using the card’s Chip (aka EMV), as well as swiping the card’s magnetic strip.
Processing Payments using the FreshBooks Card Reader
So, you’ve created an Invoice and you have your Client with you, credit card in hand ready to pay up. Just a few more steps and you’ll have that money in your account!
- Open up the Invoice you Client wishes to pay, and click the Accept Credit Card button:
- Next, you’ll see the payment keypad. Enter in the amount you would like to process with the credit card:
- Once you’ve pressed the green Checkout button, you’ll be asked to plug in the Card Reader:
- Now, select the card type. If your Client has a chip card, click Yes. If you wish to swipe the card, click No. And if you want to enter the card details manually, click Enter Card Manually:
NOTE: You are subject to higher fees when entering card details manually (3.5% + $0.30)
- If you’re processing a chip card, you’ll see this screen:
- If you’re swiping the card, you’ll see this screen:
- If you’ve chosen to Enter Card Manually, you can actually scan an image of the card on this screen. Best to double check the credit card info once it’s been scanned:
- Clicking Skip in the top right will give you the option to enter the card details manually if you don’t wish to scan the card:
- Upon successful transaction, you’ll see the Client signature screen. Have your Client sign iPhone screen with their finger. Click Retry if they need a second attempt, and Done when everything is good:
- If the payment was successfully processed, you’ll see a Success! screen. From here, you’ll have the option to email a receipt to your Client:
- If you choose to email a receipt to the Client, you can enter the email address you’d like to send that to:
My Card Reader isn’t working!
If your FreshBooks Card Reader isn’t working out of the box, chances are that you haven’t granted microphone access. The Card Reader needs to have access to the microphone on your iPhone in order to function correctly. To grant microphone access:
- Open your iPhone Settings app
- Scroll down to the Applications section and click on FreshBooks
- Ensure that access has been granted to Photos, Microphone, Camera, and Cellular Data.
If you have any further questions about FreshBooks Payments, or anything to do with FreshBooks, give our award-winning Support team a shout: