The new FreshBooks has been rebuilt from the ground up, with over 250 new features to help you run your business more smoothly. Below are steps on how to migrate, as well as what’s been improved and what’s newly built in the new FreshBooks.
- Before You Migrate
- How to Migrate
- The Migration Process
- What’s Not Available in the new FreshBooks
- Existing & Brand New Features
- Need Help?
Before You Migrate
We recommend reviewing the below list and saving anything that you may need before you start your migration:
- Pricing – Your subscription (pricing) stays the same
- API Connections – Please contact email@example.com to ensure your API calls will continue to work post-migration
- Auto-Bills – Any active Recurring Profiles with Auto-Bills will migrate over with the saved credit card information automatically
- Custom Email Templates – If you have custom email templates for your various emails sent out from FreshBooks, save copies of your templates somewhere – you can re-enter them in the new Emails & Templates section
- Due Dates – When you migrate, all your Invoices will automatically have Due Dates and be due 30 days from the Date of Issue on your Invoices – this can be adjusted later anytime
- Sent Invoices – Any sent Invoices that Clients view through an emailed link will still work and reflect the new FreshBooks invoice style instead. If your Clients want to store all received Invoices in one place (along with other features), they can also set up Client Accounts on the new FreshBooks
How to Migrate
Note: If your account’s already on the new FreshBooks, get familiarized with the new FreshBooks with this article instead.
Moving to FreshBooks only takes a few minutes. If you have any particularly large Projects with substantial time entries logged in them, this can take anywhere from 30 minutes to several hours to appear as part of the migration process. Currently migrations are only available for those that have been emailed about their account being moved over.
If you’ve received an email from FreshBooks indicating your account has been moved over:
- In the email, click on Get Started in New FreshBooks (you may have to open this link in an incognito/private browsing window)
- On the new login page at my.freshbooks.com that appears, if you’re prompted to, enter a new password (or you can re-use the same one as long as it’s 8 characters or more)
- Click on the Log In button and you’ll be taken to your account where you can get back to business
- Then feel free to head over to the Welcome to the new Freshbooks section of this article to get familiarized.
The Migration Process
When you move to the new FreshBooks, if you have team members, they’ll be moved with you as well – see the extra details below:
Migrating your Accountant
Your Accountant will be moved automatically once you’ve completed your migration with your Business.
- Accountants can log in directly at the same login page as you at https://my.freshbooks.com
- If your Accountant has not accepted a previously sent invite, you may need to re-invite them again with the steps here
- To help your Accountant get started with the new FreshBooks, send them this guide
Migrating your Contractors
Your Contractors will be asked to migrate to the new FreshBooks the same time you migrate your business’ account. This way, your Business can continue to work with your Contractors as well as any other Clients they may have.
- Contractors can login directly at the same login page as you at https://my.freshbooks.com after migration and read this guide to get started
- Contractors’ time entries will not appear in your account until the Contractor has finished migrating first
Migrating your Staff
All Staff (including archived and deleted Staff) will be moved automatically once you’ve completed your migration with your Business.
- Staff can login directly at the same login page as you at https://my.freshbooks.com after migration
- All Staff will require unique email addresses in the new FreshBooks; if any of your Staff have the same email address, you’ll be notified to update the email addresses and re-invite these Staff
- There are multiple roles for Team Members in the new FreshBooks; if your Staff has permission to create Invoices, they’ll be assigned as Managers, otherwise they will be assigned as Employees. Team Members’ roles can be changed anytime with the steps here
- To help your Team Members understand the new FreshBooks, ask them to check out resources specific to their role here
Migrating your API
- Review your API using the API documentation for migration here to ensure your calls will continue to work post-migration; those associated with Projects, Tasks and Time Entries will require small changes as outlined in the API documentation
- Reach out to firstname.lastname@example.org if you have any questions or want to confirm if your calls will continue to work
Migrating with Unsupported Online Payment Options
- If you were previously using Virtual Terminal, you can use Advanced Payments (3.5% + $0.30 per transaction) in the new FreshBooks instead, which comes with new features like saving credit cards to Client Profiles
- Since Authorize.Net and Braintree are not available in the new FreshBooks, learn more about how FreshBooks Payments powered by WePay (Canada/US only), PayPal, or Stripe (International) can help you out instead
- If you’re eligible for a Select plan, reach out here for help switching payment gateways, otherwise, if you’re already on Select, reach out to your Account Manager directly
- PayPal is supported in the new FreshBooks, but transaction fees are different depending on your location
- PayPal Business Payments ($0.50 per transaction) is no longer available
What’s Not Available in the new FreshBooks
These features are currently not supported in the new FreshBooks:
- Authorize.Net, Braintree and PayPal Business Payments ($0.50/transaction) – You can use any of our available Online Payment options instead
- Bank Connections – You can reconnect to one of our three Bank Import partners instead
- Custom Login Pages from Billingarm – All migrated accounts use the same login on the new my.freshbooks.com
- Disable AMEX Payments – AMEX is enabled by default in the new FreshBooks, you can use alternate payment Payment Options for different transaction fees
- Card Reader – Instead, use Advanced Payments on iOS (for virtual terminal), or Square can be connected to FreshBooks via Zapier
- Client Logins – If your Clients were given an username and password, your Clients can set up a new Client Account instead
- Customized Email Templates – Re-customize your templates after you migrate
- Integrations & API – Reconnect your Integrations after you migrate (if you’re using API calls, please reach out to email@example.com)
- Late Payment Reminders – With the new Due Dates feature, your invoices will automatically be 30 days due after the Date of Issue, which is when any reminders will go out
- Other Accept Credit Card Payment Options – Authorize.Net and Braintree
- Reply-To Address – Emails in the new FreshBooks are sent from whoever made the Invoice (your account’s email address or the team member’s email address instead)
- Sent Emails
- Support & Documents – Instead, consider Support Ticket integrations here, and file storage options like Google Drive, Dropbox and more
- Weekly Account Summary Email
Existing & Brand New Features
To see what’s familiar and brand new in the new FreshBooks, check out the full details here.
We want to ensure you have a smooth experience moving over to the new FreshBooks. Check out our webinars if you want a guided demo here, or watch recorded webinars here. If you’re experiencing any issues or you have further questions, please contact us here.