Payments Supported by FreshBooks: Account Security
Want to know more? Head back to the Payments Supported by FreshBooks: Overview
FreshBooks Payments: Account Security
- I forgot my FreshBooks Payments password!
- How do you ensure my FreshBooks Payments account is secure?
- What happens to my Freshbooks Payments data when I delete my Payments account?
- Do you need the CVV number to pay through FreshBooks Payments?
- Does FreshBooks Payments support ‘Verified by Visa’ or ‘Mastercard SecureCode’ programs?
- Is FreshBooks Payments PCI compliant?
Verifying your account:
- Why do I need to provide my SSN/SIN when confirming my payments account?
- What does it mean if my account is unverified?
- Who is WePay? What does FreshBooks have to do with them?
- I received a payment but did not verify my account within 30 days. What happens to my received payment?
- I did not verify my payments account within 90 days. What can I do now?
Who is it not for?
I forgot my FreshBooks Payments password! back to top
If you’ve forgotten your payments password to log into your WePay account, you can easily request a password reset! To do this, follow these steps:
- Log into your FreshBooks account.
- Click on ‘Settings’ at the top of the account..
- Click on ‘Accept Credit Cards’..
- Under ‘Show account details’, click ‘manage my account’.
This will bring you to your WePay login screen. If you can’t remember your username or password here, click the ‘Forgot your password’ link. An email will be sent to the email address your account is registered to with instructions on how to reset your password.
### How do you ensure my FreshBooks Payments account is secure? back to top The security of your account and that of your customers is paramount to us. To ensure this standard of security is upheld, both FreshBooks and WePay take a variety of safety and security precautions to ensure your personal data and payment data are kept safe at all times. If you would like to read up on FreshBooks’s security measures, please click here. For WePay’s security measures, click here. If you are a security researcher and think you’ve found a security vulnerability with our service, product, or website please see our responsible disclosure policy page for details on how to report it to us.
### What happens to my data when I delete my WePay account? back to top When your WePay account gets deleted, all information that is present in the FreshBooks account will remain intact and will not be affected. For your WePay account: when your WePay account is terminated, any pending transactions will be cancelled. Any funds that are scheduled to be deposited to your connected Bank account will be paid out according to your WePay payout schedule, less any applicable fees. If an investigation is pending at the time you close your WePay account, the Bank may hold your funds as described in the WePay Terms of Service, section 27 - 30. You can read the WePay Terms of Service here. In case of account closure (by the user or WePay), WePay reserves the right (but has no obligation) to delete all of your information and Account data stored on the WePay servers. For more information - check the WePay TOS here.
### Do you need the CVV number to pay through FreshBooks Payments? back to top As a client paying an invoice through FreshBooks Payments, you do need to enter a valid CVV number (Security Code) in order for the payment to process. CVV is a required field, as it is used for security verification of the card and the payer.
### Does FreshBooks Payments support ‘Verified by Visa’ or ‘Mastercard SecureCode’ programs? back to top At this time, FreshBooks Payments does not support the ‘Verified by Visa’ or ‘Mastercard SecureCode’ programs.
### Is FreshBooks Payments PCI compliant? back to top To process payments, FreshBooks uses a secure transaction process called Tokenization, which protects you from any fraud attempts on your client’s credit cards. FreshBooks also works with WePay, who handles all the payment processing on the back end. They also ensure all card data is PCI compliant.
### What does it mean if my account is unverified?back to top
In order to be able to withdraw your money, you’ll need to verify your account. Account verification includes providing details about your business, providing your US SSN number/ Canadian SIN number as well as providing your US Bank account or Canadian Bank account information.
After you have received a payment, you have 90 days to verify your account. If you don’t verify your account in time, the payment that you have received will be refunded to your client and your payments account will be cancelled.
Check out our post about verifying your information to find out how to connect your bank account.
### Who is WePay? What does FreshBooks have to do with them?back to top WePay helps us process payments and get payments to our customers fast. They also ensure all your payments are PCI compliant. Accepting credit cards through FreshBooks is powered by WePay to provide a seamless experience in accepting payments through FreshBooks.
### I received a payment but did not verify my account within 30 days. What happens to my received payment?back to top The payment received will be sitting in your payments account until you verify your account and connect your bank account. However, you won’t be able to receive any new payments until you verify your account. If you don’t verify your account within 90 days, your payments account will be deleted and the payment(s) made by your client(s) will be refunded.
### I did not verify my payments account within 90 days. What can I do now?back to top If you don’t verify your account within 90 days, your payments account will be deleted and any payment(s) made by your client(s) will be refunded. Not to worry though - you can simply start over! You can go into your FreshBooks account, create a new invoice and click the ‘accept credit cards’ again to get started.
### Who shouldn’t use FreshBooks Payments? While accepting payments through FreshBooks is quick and easy, it might not be the best tool for everyone. Here are some of the things the feature can’t do:
- At this time, the feature doesn’t offer point-of-sale devices that let you physically swipe a credit or debit card. However, for all in-person transactions, you or your customer can type in the payment information in FreshBooks from a mobile browser window.
- If your business is based outside of the United States/ Canada , you unfortunately won’t be able to accept credit cards through FreshBooks. However, you can still use any of our integrations with other payment gateways (such as PayPal, Stripe, Authorize.net, etc). For a full list of everything FreshBooks works with, check here.
- There are certain types of businesses that can’t accept credit cards through FreshBooks. If your business activity is listed on the list of ‘prohibited activities’ in the Terms and Conditions of our partner WePay (who helps us process these payments), you won’t be able to accept credit cards through FreshBooks. For a full list of prohibited activities, click here