How do I receive Invoices into my account?
When a FreshBooks user sends you an Invoice, you can store that in your account under the Received section of the Invoices tab. You can then easily convert that Invoice to an Expense, which is handy if you need to keep track of payments to your Contractors and vendors.
Set Up the Connection
- When you first receive an Invoice from another FreshBooks Classic user, you’ll be asked if you want to receive the Invoice in your own FreshBooks account
- Click on Yes to set the connection up
- You’ll then be asked to specify which account you want to receive the Invoice in. If your browser is storing cookies, your most recently logged in FreshBooks Classic account will appear as an option, or you can sign into a different FreshBooks account instead
- Click on the Finish button and you’ll now see a confirmation that the connection is set up and active.
Keep in mind that pop-up blockers can prevent the dialog box from appearing. If you are experiencing issues with the later steps, try using Incognito mode (or another private browser window with pop-ups disabled).
Convert a Received Invoice to an Expense
Once you’ve successfully received an Invoice in your account, you can easily convert this (or any future Invoices from the same sender) to an Expense. Just follow these steps:
- Go to the Invoices tab
- Click on the Received sub-tab
- Find the Invoice you want to Expense, and click on the Expense link next to it (or check the box off and click on the Convert to Expense button)
- You’ll be taken to the Expenses tab where you can edit the details before saving the Expense
- Once you’re done, click on the Add Expense button to finish.
What do the different statuses of my Received Invoices mean?
A legend is always available to you at the bottom of your list of Invoices in the Received sub-tab. The full list is below:
- Outstanding - This Invoice can be viewed and paid
- Disputed - You have disputed the Invoice - click on the Invoice Number link to see the comments
- Paid - The Invoice is paid
- Defunct - The sender’s account is no longer available, you cannot view this Invoice
- Yellow - The Invoice has been converted to an Expense