What are Uncategorized and Duplicate Expenses?
Expenses show you where your money is going, so you can keep track of it all. If you are seeing notifications while in your Expenses tab about Uncategorized or Duplicate Expenses, that means there are Expenses that do not have a category, or they are duplicates. We’ll walk you through how to resolve these, as well as any other notifications that may come up.
Uncategorized Expenses are just Expenses that don’t have a Category assigned to them yet. The good news is that you can do them in bulk to save time. After you click on the View uncategorized link in the notification, follow these steps:
- Check off the boxes on the left of each Expense that have the same Category
- Click on the Edit button at the top of the list
- Select Edit Category
- Choose one of the categories from the drop-down, or type in a Category
- Click Save
- Repeat steps 1-3 as needed for other expenses with similar categories until there are no more Uncategorized Expenses. You’re all done!
Duplicate Expenses are a little different for some businesses. To some, they may be real transactions that occurred on the same day, multiple times at the exact same amount. To others, they are from pre-authorization and post-authorization transactions of the same Expense.
After you click on the Manage duplicates link in the notification, follow these steps:
- If you want to keep your duplicate expenses (all of them), click the ignore link at the bottom right of each group
- If you want to only keep one expense from each duplicate group, check off the one you want and click on Keep
- Repeat until all duplicate groups have been resolved.
- Duplicate expenses will always be imported in. You can either choose to keep them (if they are authentic transactions) or delete them (if they are duplicates).
- If you have two expenses that are the same, but both have slightly different notes on different dates, this is due to the transaction being pre-authorized. When the transaction is updated with more information, it is imported in again as a post-authorization transaction. Since the dates and notes can be different, these are not caught by our duplicate filter, so you can delete one of them yourself.
If you see any other notifications, you may want to check the Bank Accounts sub-tab from the Expense tab for any bank account issues.