What is a Staff member? How do I set one up?
A Staff member in FreshBooks acts as an employee to your company. You can set permissions for what your Staff members can do (applies to all Staff members equally), and oh yes, they can do pretty much everything. Your Staff members can:
- Log in directly to your FreshBooks account with their own credentials
- Create and manage Clients
- Create and send Invoices/Estimates
- Log Expenses
- Create Projects and track time towards Projects
Here’s how you create a staff member:
- Click on the People tab
- Click on the Staff and Contractors sub-tab
- Click on the New Team Member button
- Click on the Add Staff Member button
- Enter the Staff’s email address and name
- If you want to assign them a username and password, click the + Assign username and password link. If you decide to leave this blank, it’s ok, they’ll be able to create their own
- If you want to enter any of their contact information you can click on the + Add contact information link. This is optional and can be left blank
- If you would like to assign them to some Projects you can check them off - this will allow them to track time to that project. If you don’t want them tracking their time leave these unchecked. If you’re not sure exactly what you want them working on yet you can leave this blank and adjust it later
- Click the Save button.
Your Staff will receive an email with a link that will take them directly into your account so they can get to work.
If you’d like more info, you can learn about setting individual staff permissions so each of your Staff Members can only access the Clients and Projects they need to.
NOTE: Staff can be assigned to individual Clients so that they only have access to certain Clients’ details. You can follow the steps for assigning Staff to Clients here.