Payments Supported by FreshBooks: Transactions
Want to know more? Head back to the Payments Supported by FreshBooks: Overview FreshBooks Payments: Transactions
- Why has my client’s payment failed?
- What are the transaction limits with FreshBooks Payments?
- How can I raise my transaction limit?
- How do I issue a refund for my client?
- Can I cancel a refund?
- Can I refund my client an amount above the transaction total?
- How can I give my client a partial refund?
- Can I void a transaction (as opposed to refund)?
The client experience:
Other payment gateway integrations:
- Can I import my stored credit card numbers from (Authorize.net, Stripe, PayPal, Braintree,…) to FreshBooks Payments?
- Can I accept ACH payments through FreshBooks Payments?
Why has my client’s payment failed? back to top
There are a few reasons why your client’s payment could have failed. When a payment fails, the client will always see one of error codes below showing the cause of the problem. Here are a few of the common causes of failed payments:
- 2002 – The Card type not supported
- 2003 – The credit card issuing bank says this card is not supported
- 2004 – The issuing bank declined the charge but did not give us a reason as to why.
- 2005 – Insufficient funds on the card.
- 2006 – The card was reported lost of stolen
- 2007 – The card has expired.
- 2008 – Some card data is invalid (i.e. name on card doesn’t match)
If a transaction was declined for risk- fraud reasons, you will be contacted by the FreshBooks and WePay team with a notification. WePay helps FreshBooks process the payments in the back end and handles all risk and fraud prevention measures to ensure that online payments through FreshBooks happen in a safe and secure way.
What are the transaction limits with FreshBooks Payments? back to top
At this time, the transaction limit is $10,000.00 on a single transaction. Any transaction higher than that amount will need to be manually reviewed and approved by the WePay team. If you are planning to process a lot of larger transactions, please reach out to firstname.lastname@example.org so your account can be pre-reviewed and pre-approved.
How can I raise my transaction limit? back to top
If you do frequently process transactions over $10,000.00, please reach out to our team at email@example.com and we’ll be happy to help you out! Your account will need to be reviewed by the WePay team, after which your transaction limit can be raised on a case-by-case basis.
How do I issue a refund for my client? back to top
At this time, any refunds need to be initiated from within your WePay account. To do this, follow these steps:
- Log in to your FreshBooks account
- Click on ‘Settings’ in the top right corner
- Click on the ‘Accept Credit Cards’ sub-tab
- Click under ‘Show account details info’
- Click on ‘Manage account’
This will bring you to the WePay website. Here, you can log in with your WePay username and password.
Once you’re in the WePay dashboard, do the following:
- You’ll see a list of your recent transactions listed under your company name.
- Locate the transaction you wish to refund, and click on it.
- A new window will appear with some details about the transaction. At the bottom of the window you will have the option to ‘issue a refund’.
Can I cancel a refund? back to top
Once a refund has been initiated, it can not be cancelled. The funds get debited from your WePay account immediately, and WePay will start the transfer back to your client’s bank account.
Can I refund my client an amount above the transaction total? back to top
Refunds back to your client can only be for the full amount of the transaction total. At this time, you can not refund your client a transaction for any amount that is larger than that single transaction total.
How can I give my client a partial refund? back to top
At this time, you are unable to initiate a partial refund to your client. Refunds initiated by you (as shown here) can only be for the full amount of the transaction. However, if you do need to initiate a partial refund for your client, the WePay support team can definitely help you out with this. You can contact them by emailing in to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Can I void a transaction (as opposed to refund)? back to top
The moment that a transaction has been completed, it cannot be voided. The only option is to fully refund the amount back to your client.
Can I automatically email receipts to my clients? back to top
Absolutely! FreshBooks already has a great ‘Payment notification email’ feature to allows you to do just that. To enable payment notification emails, follow these steps:
- In your FreshBooks account, click on ‘Settings’ at the top right corner of your account.
- Next, click on the ‘Emails’ subtab.
- From here, you’ll see a list of all the email templates you can modify and activate.
- Choose the ‘Payment notification email’ template and click ‘edit’.
- Here, make sure the ‘payment notification’ email is enabled. You can also edit the template to include any extra information you may want.
- Click ‘Save’ to activate this for all clients.
For more information on how to customize your other email templates (including emails that FreshBooks sends to you), check out this post
What will my client see on their bank statement? back to top
Once your client makes a payment through FreshBooks Payments, the transaction will appear as “WPY*yourcompanyname” on their credit card statement. Also, when the client finishes the checkout process, a message will appear to notify them of this statement. It is important that your client is familiar with how the transaction will appear on their credit card statement, as to reduce the rate of chargebacks due to unrecognized charges.
What your client will see when making their payment.
Can I import my stored credit card numbers from (Authorize.net, Stripe, PayPal, Braintree,…) to FreshBooks Payments? back to top
Due to security precautions and in order to adhere to PCI compliance regulations, it is not possible to import stored credit card numbers from other payment gateways to FreshBooks Payments.
Can I accept ACH payments through FreshBooks Payments? back to top
ACH is offered to select customers in select regions. If you’d like more info, feel free to reach out to our Support!