Give your customers the flexibility and convenience of paying by bank transfer, now available for U.S.-based customers.
If you’re an independent contractor you likely have a diverse portfolio of clients each with their own preferred method of payment. Some opt for online payments, while others stick with old-school checks—after all, money is money. But the more clients you take on, the more you’ll need to establish flexible payment options to keep everyone happy (and to keep you getting paid).
That’s why FreshBooks is introducing ACH payments (aka bank transfers). It offers your clients the convenience of paying with credit cards with only a 1% fee, and saves you a trip to the bank to deposit the money.
What Is ACH?
ACH (Automated Clearing House) is a network that connects financial institutions across the U.S., and allows your clients to transfer money online from their bank to yours.
How Do I Enable ACH Payments?
To start receiving online payments by Credit Card and Bank Transfer (ACH) on your Invoices, you have to first enable FreshBooks Payments. You can learn how to set FreshBooks Payments up here.
Once you’ve done that, you can easily enable ACH payments:
- Log into your FreshBooks account and click the gear icon in the top left corner.
- Click Accept Online Payments. Here’s what it looks like in-app:
- Click Get Started with Online Payments and then click Continue.
- Verify your email, business information, and add a bank account.
Now you’ll have the option to accept ACH on an invoice thanks to FreshBooks Payments! Plus, FreshBooks Payments will verify whether or not the client has sufficient funds and will approve or decline the transaction for you.
You can also enable ACH payments directly on an invoice:
- Click Accept Online Payments on the right of the invoice.
- Select the checkbox beside ACH.
- Click Done. That’s it!
Here’s what it looks like in-app:
Why Should I Enable ACH Payments?
They’re a fast and easy way to get paid for your invoices, and:
- Have only a 1% fee, lower than credit cards and online payments
- Get you paid 2x faster than by check
- Provide more flexibility and convenience for clients
- No setup fees, monthly fees, or minimum charges
Need Help With ACH Payments?
If you have any questions on how to get started with FreshBooks ACH or FreshBooks Payments, feel free to reach out here.
This post was updated in March 2021.
about the author
Dave is a Senior Copywriter currently working for FreshBooks, serving all the amazing businesses using the platform. When he’s not writing, Dave can likely be found binging Netflix alongside his dog Indy.