FreshBooks CEO Mike McDerment is a guest on the latest episode of SaaStr podcast.
We thought you might enjoy a listen to learn more about the leader behind your favorite invoicing and accounting software!
In the episode (embedded below) some of the topics discussed are:
- How Mike came to enter the world of SaaS with the founding of Freshbooks from his parent’s basement?
- Why Mike disagrees with the common notion of the “pivot”?
- How Mike finds balance between realism when something is not working and vision?
- What does Mike know now that he wishes he had known at the beginning?
And over the course Mike’s conversation with USV’s Fred Wilson, they discuss:
- Leadership: The 3 most important roles of the CEO?
- Evolving Your Product: Why is the No 1 rule in SaaS, you do not replatform your software? What are the inherent dangers? Where do most SaaS startups make big mistakes when replatforming?
- Scaling Your Team: What is the biggest challenge at 20 people? How does collaboration change when your team hits 40 people? How can one maintain seamless communication when one hits 80 people?
- Location, Location, Location: Why is Mike so bullish on SaaS outside of Silicon Valley? How does being outside the Valley affect his ability to hire?
Listen here and let Mike know if you have any questions in the comments below!
about the author
If your books are a mess and you’re looking for an easy fix, FreshBooks is that solution. It’s software that makes billing, accounting, and client service easy for business owners. Get automated invoicing and payments to save you 550+ hours/year, reports that tell you how things are going, and access to time-saving tools for your whole team. Cool right? We’ve got a website with all the details, a Twitter account that’s pretty sweet, and a Youtube channel packed with awesome videos.