Even if your business doesn’t have an eco-driven mission, you can absolutely make your business more eco-friendly with a few small changes. Not only will these changes be worth it from a feel-good perspective, you’ll actually cut down on business expenses like fuel, electricity and office supplies in the process.
Here are 3 Easy Ways to Eco Your Business:
The less paper you use for your business, the more trees you can save. Some simple ways to go paperless include:
- E-Bills: Many large service providers give you the option to receive your bills, such as telephone, internet, electricity and more, all via email and some will actually discount your bills if you do this.
- Online data storage: Back up all your company files on the web, and you won’t have to keep paper copies around. Just be sure you store them on a secure server with a backup center for safety.
- Cloud accounting: Send invoices and monitor your profit and loss online to streamline your business paperwork. FreshBooks should be able to help you with that.
Cut back on travel
Traveling can use up a lot of fuel, and it costs a fortune. You can reduce your expenses and improve the environment by keeping your travels to a minimum. Here are some ideas to try:
- Video conferences: Rather than taking a plane trip to meet a new client, why not video chat with him? You’ll get the job done, and you don’t even have to change out of your PJs!
- Nearby work: Rent out an office close to home so you don’t have to travel far to do your work. Better yet, work right in your house if at all possible.
- Homemade lunches: Bring your lunch to work instead of going out. If you already work at home but often head out to eat as a way to “get fresh air”, try packing something and having a picnic instead.
- Bulk shipments: If you send or receive shipments a lot, try to do them all at the same time. This will reduce the fuel the delivery guys use.
- Public transportation: When you just have to get out, use public transportation. You could also walk or bike to your destination if it’s close enough. Worse comes to worse, find people to carpool with and invest in a hybrid car for your business.
Strive for energy efficiency
Simple additions to your home, office, or both can significantly reduce the energy you use for work. Examples include:
- Energy efficient light bulbs: These are pricy to buy, but they use 30% or less of the electricity traditional bulbs use and last much longer. The bill savings will make up for the initial costs.
- Temperature control: Keep an eye on your temperature settings and try not to overuse your air conditioner anymore than you have to. Turn it off or down when you’re away from the office, and open the windows when you can.
- Solar power: If you have the money to invest in solar panels, definitely consider it. Your home or office will run almost entirely off the sun’s power, saving you so much money in the long run.
- Unplugging: When you aren’t using an electrical device, unplug it. Even when it’s off, it still soaks up energy from the plug.
By implementing the easy steps above, your business (and maybe even your home) will soon be more eco-friendly in no time.