Update (Mar. 16, 2011): The user interface in PayPal has changed for this so this post will be updated.
If you’ve ever integrated PayPal Standard with another application, you might have noticed the occasional but rare communication hiccup. The most common hiccup for you, a FreshBooks user, might be that your FreshBooks account has stopped marking your recent invoices as paid even if you’ve received payment via PayPal. Basically, everything seems fine:
- You have an active PayPal standard account connected in your FreshBooks account
- You have not changed anything in your PayPal account
- The two accounts have been working perfectly in the past
There are a number reasons why this might have happened. However, it’s usually that something has (whether by accident, or not) changed in your Instant Payment Notification (IPN) settings in PayPal. There is one quick fix that will hopefully (fingers crossed) resolve the problem.
- Log into your PayPal account
- Go to your My Account tab
- Click on Profile
- Click More Options
- Under ‘Selling Preferences’ click on ‘Instant Payment Notification Preferences’
- Click on ‘Choose IPN Settings’ button (Note: If you see two options: ‘Edit Settings’ or ‘Turn off IPN’ then skip to Step 9)
- Enter a “fake” URL under ‘Notification URL’ with appropriate nomenclature (http://www…com)
- Check the ‘Receive IPN messages (Enabled)’ option. Then click on ‘Save’
- You are directed to a page where you are presented with two options: ‘Edit settings’ or ‘Turn Off IPN’. Click on ‘Turn Off IPN’
- You’ll get a ‘Confirm turning off IPN’ pop-up. Click on ‘Confirm’
- And hopefully it’s fixed!
If this does not work, please give us a call.