For the purposes of this policy, "Disability" means:
- Any degree of physical disability, infirmity, malformation or disfigurement that is caused by bodily injury, birth defect or illness and, without limiting the generality of the foregoing, includes diabetes mellitus, epilepsy, a brain injury, any degree of paralysis, amputation, lack of physical co-ordination, blindness or visual impediment, deafness or hearing impediment, muteness or speech impediment, or physical reliance on a guide dog or other animal or on a wheelchair or other remedial appliance or device;
- A condition of mental impairment or a developmental disability;
- A learning disability, or a dysfunction in one or more of the processes involved in understanding or using symbols or spoken language;
- A mental disorder; or
- An injury or disability for which benefits were claimed or received under the insurance plan established under the Workplace Safety and Insurance Act, 1997.
"Service animal" means:
- An animal accompanying a person with disabilities where it is readily apparent that the animal is used by the person for reasons relating to his or her disability or where the person provides a letter from a physician or nurse confirming that he or she requires the animal for reasons relating to the disability. This definition includes guide dogs used by the blind or visually impaired.
"Support person" means:
- In relation to a person with disabilities, another person who accompanies him or her in order to help with communication, mobility, personal care or medical needs or with access to goods and services.
Providing Goods and Services to People with Disabilities
FreshBooks is committed to excellence in serving all Customers including people with disabilities and we will carry out our functions and responsibilities in the ways:
- We will communicate with people with disabilities in ways that take into account their disability.
- We will train our Employees who communicate with Customers on how to interact and communicate with people with various types of disabilities.
- We are committed to providing fully accessible telephone service to our Customers. We will train Employees to communicate with Customers over the telephone in clear and plain language and to speak clearly and slowly.
- We will offer to communicate with Customers by e-mail or operator assisted relay services if telephone communication is not suitable to their communication needs or is not available.
- We are committed to serving people with disabilities who use assistive devices to obtain, use or benefit from our services. We will ensure that our Employees are trained and familiar with various assistive devices that may be used by customers with disabilities while accessing our services.
Use of Service Animals and Support Persons
We are committed to welcoming people with disabilities who are accompanied by a service animal on the parts of our premises that are open to the public and other third parties. We will also ensure that all Employees are properly trained on how to interact with people with disabilities who are accompanied by a service animal.
We are committed to welcoming people with disabilities who are accompanied by a support person. Any person with a disability who is accompanied by a support person will be allowed to enter FreshBooks’ premises with his or her support person. At no time will a person with a disability who is accompanied by a support person be prevented from having access to his or her support person while on our premises.
Notice of Temporary Disruption
In the event of a planned or unexpected disruption in the facilities or services usually used by people with disabilities, our Company will provide Customers with notice. This notice will include information about the reason for the disruption, its anticipated duration, and a description of alternative facilities or services if available.
Training for Employees
FreshBooks will provide training to all Employees who deal with the public and all those who are involved in the development and approvals of customer service policies, practices and procedures. Individuals in customer facing positions will be trained during their on-boarding with FreshBooks.
The purposes of the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act (2005) and the requirements of the Customer Service Standard:
- How to interact and communicate with people with various types of disabilities
- How to interact with people with disabilities who use an assistive device or require the assistance of a service animal or a support person
- FreshBooks’ policies, practices and procedures related to the Customer Service Standard
Employees will be trained on an ongoing basis, and when changes are made to these policies, practices and procedures.
FreshBooks welcomes any feedback regarding the methods we use to provide services to persons with disabilities. Individuals may provide their feedback in person, by telephone, in writing, or by e-mail to: firstname.lastname@example.org
The HR Team will review and assess all feedback received with respect to FreshBooks’ accessibility practices and policies. If the feedback is in the nature of a complaint, the comment(s) or allegation(s) will be investigated, unless they are made in bad faith, or are frivolous or vexatious. When investigating complaints, those staff who directly interacted with the complainant or those who would typically interact with the complainant, if any, will be asked to comment on the allegation(s) made in the complaint. After reviewing and investigating a complaint, the HR Team will provide a written response to the individual who provided the feedback. Responses shall be provided within a reasonable amount of time and will depend on the complexity of the issues raised.
Modifications to This or Other Policies
We are committed to developing policies that respect and promote the dignity and independence of people with disabilities. Therefore, no changes will be made to this policy before considering the impact on people with disabilities.
Any FreshBooks policy that does not respect and promote the dignity and independence of people with disabilities will be modified or removed.
Questions About This Policy
If anyone has any questions about this policy, or if the purpose of a policy is not understood, please reach out to us at email@example.com. We are committed to providing world-class service to our customers, and welcome any suggestions that will help us maintain that commitment by improving this policy and the manner in which we provide services to persons with disabilities.
Requests for AODA compliance documents
Upon request, FreshBooks shall provide a copy of this policy to any person. When a request for this policy is received, FreshBooks will provide the document or information in a format that takes into account the requestor’s disabilities.