The Best Invoicing for Freelance Writers
Create professional invoices that suit your business and get you paid 2x faster. With FreshBooks, you get access to customizable invoices, automated payments, award-winning support and much more.
Join 24 million people who have used FreshBooks
Free Freelance Writing Invoice Template
Your freelance writing business is taking off and you need a professional invoice to bill your clients, but you don’t want to make one from scratch. What do you do?
With the freelance writing invoice template from FreshBooks, you can keep bookkeeping and billing as an in-house task. This template makes it possible for writers like you to create professional invoices in minutes.
Available for download in .DOC, .XLS, .PDF, Google Docs and Google Sheets. View our complete list of invoice examples.
Download Freelance Writing Invoice Templates
Invoice with FreshBooks
Invoice with FreshBooks
What Is a Freelance Writing Invoice Used For?
As a freelance writer, you may be curious of how exactly to go about billing your clients and keeping your payment records in check. Fortunately, using a complimentary freelance writing invoice template makes this process quick and simple.
Find out why writers across North America, the UK and beyond are turning to invoice templates for their businesses.
- Keep record of important sales transactions
- Organize pending and past payments
- Avoid missed or late payments from clients
- Easily file information that will be needed at tax time
- Clearly communicate charges to clients
- Keep track of outstanding debt
- Make note of those who repeatedly miss due dates
- Explain services and charges to clients
- Keep bookkeeping fast and easy
A freelance writing invoice lists your services, prices, billing information, due dates and more.
Providing clients with a clear and detailed document helps them to better understand exactly what they are being charged. Avoiding confusion by keeping your clients informed helps to avoid missed payments and troubles at tax time. That certainly takes some weight off your shoulders.
How to Create a Freelance Writing Invoice
To create a simple invoice for your freelance writing business, you will want to download a freelance invoice template. Generate and include a unique invoice number so that the invoice and payment are both easily tracked.
You should also include the services provided, total cost, client name or business, billing address, your contact information, the terms of the invoice, date of issue and payment due date.
- Download a free freelance writing invoice template
- Include your business name and contact information
- Add your business media and logo
- Include client’s name or business name, contact details and billing address
- Create and input a unique invoice number on template
- Add the invoice issue date and due date
- List services provided with descriptions and costs for each
- Calculate the total and list at the bottom
- Include billing terms and any additional information
- Send invoice directly to client via FreshBooks, email or direct mail.
You can customize the writing invoice template to fulfill all of the needs of you and your clients. It is quite helpful to describe in detail the services you have provided so that your client has no room for confusion. Be sure to include costs for each service you have provided.
Include all payment instructions for your client, as well as the date by which you expect to receive reimbursement for your services. Including all of this information helps to ensure that your client has no difficulty paying you in a timely manner.
Invoice Types for Freelance Writers
As a freelance writer, choosing the right invoice template for your business can make a great difference. FreshBooks invoice templates are versatile and can be used however you like.
The free freelance writing invoice template is quite customizable to serve your every need. Consider the many types of invoices that you may use to bill your clients.
- Standard: The standard invoice is quite simple. It lays out exactly how much the client owes you.
- Recurring: This invoice can be used to accept recurring payments from clients, for example, if their site requires copy or other content to be updated monthly.
- Prepayment: This type of invoice is sent to collect a retainer or deposit on writing services prior to collecting the final payment.
- Time-Based: Use a time-based invoice to bill clients for tracked time for your writing services.
- Credit: This type of invoice notes a credit that you owe to your client and is used in case of a refund or rebate.
- Debit: A Debit Invoice notes an increase in the amount of money a client owes you, due to a raised price or outstanding debt.
- Mixed: This type of invoice includes the client’s account balance after a series of charges and credits.
Find an invoice type that works best for your freelance writing business. Your clients will appreciate the time you take to customize your invoices to suit their needs and include details relevant to them. This helps you present a professional and detailed invoice that ensures you get paid the right way.
Download a Freelance Writing Invoice Template for Free
Creating a professional invoice without the help of an accountant can be quite quick and simple. Let the free writer invoice example from FreshBooks guide you in creating and sending a professional invoice today. It is time for you to get paid for your hard work.
Upgrade Your Invoice Template with FreshBooks
Want More Helpful Articles About Running a Business?
Get more great content in your Inbox.