Law Firm Invoice Template
Create invoices the easy way so you can get back to winning cases. Track your billable hours and quickly create invoices in the cloud with FreshBooks to get paid twice as fast.
Join 30 million people who have used FreshBooks
The Best Invoicing for Lawyers
Law firms need to create professional invoices that detail their billable hours. Download the free law firm invoice template to start charging clients for your legal services.
Get Your Free Law Firm Invoice Template
Law firms need to track their billable hours and create detailed invoices for their services. Send professional-looking invoices and improve your legal accounting process with the free law firm invoice template from FreshBooks.
Create invoices tailored to your legal practice by selecting a free invoice below. Just customize the invoice template to suit your firm’s needs and your invoice is ready to send to clients.
The law firm invoices are suitable for all legal professionals, from criminal lawyers and family lawyers to paralegals and law clerks.
Download your free law firm invoice template in the format that works best for your business: .DOC, .XLS, .PDF, Google Docs and Google Sheets. View all our free invoice templates.
Download a Law Firm Invoice Template
Invoice With Freshbooks
Invoice With Freshbooks
What Is a Law Firm Invoice Template Used For?
Law firms use invoices to bill clients for their services. When a law firm wants to get paid by a client, they need to create a detailed invoice that includes an itemized breakdown of all the services they provided, the number of hours billed and the total amount due on the invoice, including taxes.
Law firm invoices are the foundational accounting documents for legal practices. They allow firms to track their billable hours and create accurate accounting reports detailing the financial health of the law firm.
How to Create a Law Firm Invoice
To create a law firm invoice, legal professionals need to follow these invoicing steps:
- Download the free law firm invoice from FreshBooks
- Include your law firm’s logo at the top of the invoice
- Add your law firm’s contact details, including the firm’s name, address, email address and phone number
- Add the client’s contact information, including the client’s name, address, email address and phone number. If your client is a large business, ensure you include the correct contact name on the invoice to get paid faster
- Create a unique invoice number and include the invoice date and payment due date
- Include an itemized list of the services provided with brief descriptions of each service
- Add your billable hours for each individual service
- Include the total amount due for the invoice and add applicable taxes
- Describe your payment terms, including any late fees charged for overdue payment
- Send the completed invoice to your client by email or mail
Invoice Types for Lawyers
Lawyers can use different invoice types for billing depending on the payment arrangement they make with the client. These types of invoices can be useful for lawyers:
- Standard Invoice: Lawyers can use a standard invoice to provide a simple bill to a client outlining the services provided, the amount due and the payment deadline.
- Time-Based Invoice: Time-based invoices are particularly relevant for lawyers, who typically charge based on billable hours. Time-based invoices charge by the number of hours spent on a job.
- Recurring Invoice: A recurring invoice can be used by lawyers who charge clients for the same services every month.
- Prepayment Invoice: Lawyers can use prepayment invoices to charge clients a deposit or the full amount owing before providing services. This can be useful if a lawyer isn’t confident their client has the means to pay the bill.
- Interim Invoice: An interim invoice can be helpful for lawyers working on long-term cases. Interim invoices are sent before a project is completed to charge partial payment for the work done to that point.
- Final Invoice: Lawyers can use a final invoice to bill clients after a case is completed. Final invoices can be used after issuing interim invoices throughout the span of a case to charge for the remaining balance.
Download A Law Firm Invoice Template For Free
Create professional invoices for your law firm to get paid for your legal services. Download the free law firm invoice template from FreshBooks to get started making invoices and billing your clients. FreshBooks offers streamlined accounting solutions for small businesses from North America to the UK.
Send professional-looking invoices today with the free law firm invoice template.
Upgrade Your Invoice Template with FreshBooks
Want More Helpful Articles About Running a Business?
Get more great content in your Inbox.