The Best Invoicing for Lawyers
Create invoices that your clients will love and get you paid 2x faster. Plus, access to unlimited FreshBooks support, customizable designs and full automation for your business invoicing.
Join 24 million people who have used FreshBooks
Get Your Free Lawyer Invoice Template
As an attorney, you’re passionate about providing the best expertise and services to your clients.
But between running an office, managing accounts and staying on top of your business finances, creating and sending invoices may seem like another tedious task to add to your plate.
Fortunately, creating and sending legal invoices is easier than ever before with the free lawyer invoice template from FreshBooks. Simply download, customize and send.
Now available in .DOC, .XLS, or .PDF., Google Docs, Google Sheets. Need other types of invoices? Check out our free invoice library.
Download an Attorney Invoice Template
Invoice With Freshbooks
Your legal invoice is an important document between you and clients. To make sure that all of your bases are covered, you will want a template that’s tailored to your business. That’s why we have create the legal invoice
What Is an Attorney Invoice Used for?
Whether you are an independant attorney or run your own law office, it’s likely that you will have to send invoices to your clients. Many legal professionals employ an accountant or accounting software to do this, but for some legal business owners, those solutions can be expensive and time consuming.
It’s essential that you get paid for the services that you provide for your clients – in the right way. That’s why using a reliable invoicing system is so important for running a successful law business.
An attorney invoice is a simple, cost-effective way to send professional billing documents to your clients. They clearly outline all of the details your clients need to pay for your services, and in a timely manner.
Attorney invoices can be used for a range of legal services, such as:
- Family & Divorce Law
- Contract Law
- Personal Injury Law
- DUI Law
- Criminal Law
- Court Fees
- Processing Fees
- Corporate or Business Law
- and more
You should send your client an invoice every time you provide a legal service to them. An invoice allows you to keep a record of the work performed and the money collected. Then, you are able to easily calculate your profit at the end of the year when it comes time to file your taxes.
You can even create a public notary invoice for your law office.
When Should Attorneys Bill for Services?
Depending on your practice, type of law and the kinds of services you provide, you may choose to bill your clients before or after the work is done.
Many attorneys charge up front for legal consultations and document management fees, while others bill after the case goes to court and the verdict is decided. In that case, the fees may be decided then based on the court fees and winnings/losses.
How and when you decide to bill your clients is up to you. However, it’s important that you have an effective invoicing system in place for when that happens. That way, you can keep your accounts, finances and payment due dates organized.
The lawyer invoice template from FreshBooks makes this fast and easy. Simply download the template, fill in the necessary information and send. You will get paid in no time—worry-free.
How to Create a Legal Invoice
Creating a lawyer invoice doesn’t have to be confusing or time-consuming.
With the free invoice template for attorneys, you can create professional, detailed invoices in a matter of minutes.
Downloading your attorney invoice template from FreshBooks is a great start. Then, simply customize the template to suit your legal business needs.
- Download the free “Lawyer Invoice Template”
- Open the legal invoice template on your computer in your chosen format (.DOC, .XLS, or .PDF., Google Docs or Google Sheets)
- Name your invoice. Example: “(your business name) Legal Invoice Template”
- Create your first client invoice. Make a copy of the existing template and rename the new document. Example: “(client name) Legal Billing, (date)”
- Add details to your client invoice. Include your client name and business information, legal services provided, descriptions of your service, prices, payment due date and invoice total
The free lawyer invoice template allows you the freedom to customize fields to suit your business needs. In customizing your invoice for legal work, you can create an invoice that looks professional and captures all of the details you need.
Help you and your clients stay organized on legal fees, due dates and more. This will help you avoid late payments, or issues come tax time. It’s fast, simple and make with attorneys in mind.
Invoice Types for Attorneys
- Standard Invoice: Attorneys can create standard invoices that provide a simple bill of the services they provided to the client, the amount owing and the payment due date.
- Prepayment Invoice: Lawyers can use prepayment invoices to charge clients a deposit or the full amount owing before providing services. This can be useful if a lawyer isn’t confident their client has the means to pay the bill.
- Timesheet: Because lawyers often bill clients by the hour, a timesheet invoice can be helpful in tracking their billable hours for each job. Timesheet invoices list the number of hours worked and the hourly pay rate.
- Recurring Invoice: Attorneys can create recurring invoices if they perform the same work for the client every billing cycle, as a way of streamlining their accounting process.
- Interim Invoice: An interim invoice can be helpful for attorneys who work on long-term cases. Interim invoices are sent before a project is completed to charge partial payment for the work done to that point.
Download an Attorney Invoice Template for Free
Billing for legal services is now easier than ever.
Skip the other confusing and expensive invoicing methods and start using lawyer invoices that won’t break the bank.
Plus, the free attorney invoice template from FreshBooks makes it easy to create invoices on your own and send them in just a few minutes.
Whether you are an attorney in North America, manage a law office in the UK or own a practice elsewhere in the world, you will love these simple invoice templates.
Upgrade Your Invoice Template with FreshBooks
Want More Helpful Articles About Running a Business?
Get more great content in your Inbox.